Auto accidents in Maryland, whether they are car accidents, trucking accidents or motorcycle accidents are rarely straightforward. Between determining who is at fault and assessing injuries, it is crucial to protect yourself with experienced representation. Our Waldorf car accident lawyers will protect your best interests if you are injured in a collision due to a negligent or careless driver. Insurance companies are in the business of minimizing any payouts so they can maximize profits. As you lay injured in the hospital, an insurance company may even deny your claim, forcing you to take time away from healing to appeal and negotiate your suffering. Please contact our Waldorf car accident lawyers immediately for a free case evaluation. They charge no fees if they are unable to obtain compensation for you.
Serving all of Maryland including Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Cecil County, Harford County, Kent County, Wicomico County & Worcester County.
At our La Plata, MD injury firm you are not a claim number to be filed away. Our accident attorneys will protect your rights so you can focus on your recovery. Here is how we can help.
- All personal injury claims come down to liability. Who is at fault for your car accident? Our attorneys can investigate how your collision happened
- Our Waldorf auto accident and personal injury lawyers can also calculate the damages and injuries you are owed
- We will prepare and file your case, keeping you updated along the way
- Our car accident lawyers have the resources to collect critical evidence and documentation regarding your crash
- The dedicated team at our firm will then prove your injuries, negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf, and fight for the settlement you deserve
- If the insurance company refuses a reasonable offer, our Houston car accident lawyers can try the case to a final judgment.
The Cost Of Retaining A Maryland Injury Attorney
We invite you to come for a free case evaluation. Simply call or email us and our skilled car accident attorneys will assess your accident. Car accident victims without an attorney are subjected to numerous questions, often involving their role in the accident. The insurance adjuster’s goal is to minimize the liability of the at-fault party and any payout you are entitled. If you claim some responsibility for the accident, they have succeeded. Sometimes accident victims accept a very low insurance settlement because they are not mentally capable of handling their own claim due to the amount of pain and shock they are experiencing. Traffic accidents can be traumatic including physically, psychologically and financially. Insurance companies count on your willingness to close your case quickly. Our attorneys have extensive experience negotiating insurance claims. Before you call the insurance company, even your own, call our Waldorf, Maryland accident attorneys. Do not risk getting a meager payout that may not cover most of your medical expenses. Let our skilled attorneys examine your case and secure the total compensation you are owed.
Auto Accident Statistics
People are affected by careless and negligent drivers all over the United States. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2020;
- 42,060 people died in motor vehicle crashes
- Car accident fatalities rose 4.6% in the first 9 months
- Vehicle miles traveled, however, dropped 14.5%
- 4,795,000 were reportedly injured in traffic accidents
- The NHTSA reports notes it has seen the highest annual increase in fatalities in 96 years
Fatal Accidents In Waldorf, Maryland
If you have lost someone close to you recently, the entire staff at our firm offer our condolences. We have been there for many Maryland families looking for answers. Losing a loved one suddenly and unexpectedly can be shocking. We know that no amount of money will make up for the loss you have experienced. A wrongful death claim can provide some compensation and closure in your time of need and ensure that the liable party is held responsible.
When a person passes suddenly, there are numerous affairs to put in order. The estate must be dealt with, including any debts the deceased owes. Funeral costs can be very taxing on their loved one’s bank accounts. Medical bills will start to add up quickly, along with many other unforeseen expenses. If your loved one was killed in a careless accident, our wrongful death attorneys can secure the compensation you and your family deserve to cover all your unforeseen bills. Please feel free to contact us for a free consultation of your case.
What To Do Following An Auto Accident In MD
Car accidents happen every day. Prepare yourself and your family by knowing the appropriate steps to take following a collision. Whether the car accident was minor, like a fender-bender, or major, here is what you should do after an accident;
- Check yourself and see if you have any injuries. Often this is everyone’s first instinct. However, the release of adrenaline can make us feel less injured than we are, causing further damage. Take your time and see if you are in pain or suffering from injuries that require immediate assistance. If you cannot call 911, ask someone else to do so.
- Check on your passengers. Were you traveling with your spouse? Were you traveling with your children? Try not to move people who may have sustained back, neck, or other serious injuries. It is best to wait for emergency personnel.
- If the accident is minor, get to safety by moving to the side of the road. If your car is safe to drive and poses a hazard to other drivers, pull it to the side of the road and get off as far as possible.
- If someone has not called 911 yet, make sure you do so immediately.
- Exchange information. Do not simply write the other person’s name and the insurance company. Make sure you have;
- Their full name, address, and contact number
- Insurance company and policy number
- Driver’s license and license plate number
- Type, model, and color of the vehicle
- Location of the accident
- Make sure to document as much information as you can, including;
- Take pictures of different angles, make sure to show the damage on both cars
- Take a picture of the other vehicles license plate
- Talk to witnesses and get their full contact information
- When the police arrive, make sure to give as many details as possible. Also, make sure you ask for a copy of the report for your records. Getting the officers’ names and badge numbers can also help when filing a claim. Make sure the investigating officers speak with the witnesses.
- Connect with our Charles County accident attorneys before you contact the insurance company
Auto Accident Settlement Amounts
Every car accident is unique; therefore, the average settlement will depend on many varying factors. Critical evidence to support your claim will depend on how well you documented the accident, were there any witnesses, were there any cameras? In the United States, the average payout for a car accident can be between $14,000 and $28,000. There are also other non-economic damages to consider, like pain and suffering damages, physical impairments, and disfigurement.
Calculating Pain & Suffering Damages
Pain and suffering compensation makes up the bulk of many auto accident claims in Maryland but it can be challenging to assess. While “pain” refers to your injuries after a car accident, the “suffering” is used to show the mental harm that results from the accident. For example, your accident may have caused you depression, post-traumatic stress, and anxiety. If your injuries were severe, you might have to cope with losing a limb, having a traumatic brain injury, or other limitations.
The pain, both mentally and physically, could be temporary or chronic. They may affect your life a little or be completely life-altering. These varying degrees will create the base for how much your pain and suffering are worth.
Proving pain and suffering damages can be difficult. Medical documentation is a great way to verify the physical damage; however, emotional damage can be challenging. One of the most effective ways to demonstrate your psychological pain is by keeping a daily log. Did you miss any activities with your children today? Were you able to help as you normally do around the house? How was your pain on a scale of 1-10?
Other factors contribute to the amount of pain and suffering damages;
- The car accident victim’s age
- The car accident victim’s condition prior to the accident
- What was the extent of the injuries?
- What is the duration of recovery?
- Is there permanent damage?
- Are there day-to-day activities that they cannot participate?
- Can the car accident victim spend quality time with family and friends?
The True Cost Of Being Injured In A Maryland Auto Accident
In the United States, soaring medical costs have driven up insurance settlement claims. If you have been hurt in a car accident, the medical expenses can be staggering. Medical debt is one of the leading causes for Americans to file bankruptcy. Without the right attorney, these costs may not be covered;
- $1,000 for an ambulance to take you from the scene to the nearest emergency room
- The emergency room itself can cost upwards of $20,000
- Hospital stays while you recover are widely expensive. Each night may cost you $2,750 or more
- If your injuries require surgery, you could be on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars
- While recovering, if you need physical therapy, occupational therapy, or home care, you could owe thousands more.
Having skillful representation is the safest way to protect yourself and ensure all your medical expenses are secured.
Common Types Of Traffic Accidents
The Waldorf and La Plata areas see\ numerous car accidents every day. When you have representation from Abraham Watkins, our personal injury attorneys will talk to witnesses, read the police reports, and find the critical evidence you need to establish liability.
Some of the more common car accidents throughout Maryland involve;
- Driving under the influence. This can lead to criminal as well as civil charges.
- Distracted Driving. With the coming of the smartphone and apps, distracted driving has become an increasing threat on Houston roads
- Speeding. Officials have noted the steep increase in fatalities in the last reporting year may be due to excessive speeding
- Head-on collisions. Most head-on collisions are caused by an impaired driver.
- Hazardous roads: The lack of infrastructure or updated infrastructure can wreak havoc on Houston’s streets
- Defective motor vehicles
- Big-rigs, semi-trucks, and commercial trucks
If you or someone you love has been injured in a collision, you need our La Plata, Maryland car accident lawyers today. Our highly knowledgeable team can handle an array of motor vehicle accidents including auto accidents, Uber accidents, Lyft accidents, trucking accidents, pedestrian accidents and motorcycle accidents.
Common Auto Accident Injuries
Car crashes can be devastating. Major car accidents often cause catastrophic injuries that can result in death, permanent disability, or disfigurement. Some common injuries from car accidents include;
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal organ damage or bleeding
- Broken bones, fractures, and dislocations
- Limb loss and amputation
- Neck injuries
- Disfiguring facial injuries and scars
- Crush injuries
If you or someone you know has sustained injuries in a car accident due to someone’s negligence, you need a personal injury attorney in your corner. Our experienced attorneys have successfully represented Maryland injury victims for decades. Call today and let us secure the compensation you deserve.
Delayed Auto Accident Injuries
During a crash, adrenalin floods the body and can make it more difficult for you to assess the damage. Injuries from a major car accident will send you swiftly to the nearest emergency room. Even minor car accidents can cause lacerations or whiplash. However, in some cases, car accident injuries can be delayed.
Delayed injuries can begin to affect a car accident victim hours, days, or even weeks after the collision. They can range from minor injuries to major problems. Delayed injuries can substantially increase the cost of a car accident on the victim. If you have been injured in a Houston car accident, some of the most common delayed injuries include;
- One of the worst injuries to ignore is a headache after a car crash. Often, it takes several days for a headache to present itself. Many people brush off the pain with medication, but a headache could be a sign of major head trauma. There is potential for a blood clot on the brain to develop or a severe concussion.
- Shoulder and Neck Pain:
- Otherwise known as “whiplash.” Whiplash is a tricky injury. It usually takes days to develop. Unfortunately, it requires more testing to be properly diagnosed, with an x-ray, CT scan, or an MRI.
- Back Pain:
- Back pain can be debilitating. Many times, back pain is the result of damage to the ligaments, muscles, or vertebrae by way of sprains, strains, and herniated discs.
- Abdominal Pain:
- Abdominal pain several days after an accident can signal something life-threatening, like internal bleeding or organ damage. Other symptoms may be deep bruising, dizziness, fainting, lightheadedness.
- Numbness and Tingling:
- When the neck or spinal column is injured, your arms and legs may start to tingle or have numb spots. This is often the sign of a herniated disk pressing on the spinal nerve.
Why Choose Our Waldorf Car Accident Lawyers
Our exceptional team of car accident attorneys serving the La Plata and Waldorf areas understand that the success of a personal injury claim rests on the skills and resources of the firm. With several decades experience they have cultivated a reputation of excellence as the top personal injury law firm in Maryland. Our team will handle your Maryland car accident claim with precision and attention to detail. We firmly believe in client responsiveness and will help guide you through the process of filing a car accident claim step by step.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident due to carelessness or negligence, please connect with our Charles County car accident lawyers as they will fight to recover the damages to which you are entitled, including;
- Complete coverage of medical expenses, both present and future
- Lost wages if you are unable to work
- Lost economic earning potential
- Pain and suffering damages and all other non-economic damages
- Possible punitive damages against a grossly negligent party
Our Waldorf car accident lawyers are here for you. Please do not hesitate to contact us for a free consultation. No fees are charged if they are unable to obtain compensation on your behalf.